2020 has caused major shifts in nonprofit operations, especially when it comes to fundraising. The pandemic has forced nonprofits to cancel, postpone, or move their fundraising events to virtual-only settings—each option leading to challenges of its own. Individual giving has also trended downward, and social good organizations are striving to get the financial support they need to bounce back.
Feeling Stretched in 2020? You’re Not Alone.
We asked nonprofits to tell us about how COVID-19 had impacted them as a part Taproot Foundation’s 2020 Nonprofit Resiliency Survey—you can sign up here to be the first to see our upcoming resource for nonprofits based on our findings. Here’s a sample of what we learned:
- 64% of respondents indicated a decrease in overall funding due to COVID-19
- 58% of respondents indicated cancelled fundraising events due to COVID-19
- 42% of respondents indicated a decrease in individual giving due to COVID-19
But the question remains: what will holiday fundraising look like for you this year? Programs everywhere have been focused on keeping people safe and keeping their doors open—not necessarily on ramping up fundraising campaigns for the end of the year. Skilled volunteers could be part of the solution.
A Network of Experts Is Here to Help!
Pro bono support can be a key resource in designing and running your holiday fundraising campaigns, this year and in the years to come. But the 2020 holiday season is just around the corner, so we’ve highlighted five great ways to work with skilled volunteers to make this year’s giving campaigns as effective as possible!
These projects typically take under 48 volunteer hours to complete, and just one of them could make a big difference for your giving campaign this year:
- Copyediting/Writing – A volunteer can help you develop compelling messaging that clearly communicates your mission and the impact of your work. Great messaging will resonate with your audience (and maximize donations).
- Graphic Design – Well-designed graphics can be a game-changer! Graphics make it easier to get the attention of potential donors and quickly communicate who you are and what you do. Design projects for holiday fundraising include social media graphics, updated logos, eye-catching email templates, or retooled website graphics.
- Google Ads – Maximize the benefits of Google Ads with the expertise of a volunteer who knows that platform backwards and forwards. Together you can review your target audience (potential donors) and use the right keywords that get your website noticed.
Don’t have the bandwidth to manage a bigger project? A 60-minute consultation call (we call them Sessions) can make a big difference in a small amount of time. We’d recommend requesting a Session on one of these subjects to boost your holiday fundraising efforts:
- Fundraising Communications Plan – This plan lays out your goals for fundraising communications and includes what you’ll do to reach them as well as how you’ll evaluate your work afterward. A communications expert can ask insightful questions that help you make this plan and put all those details down on paper.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – Folks may love your work and want to donate, but you have to help them find you first! Talk with a volunteer about tweaks you can make to improve your site’s SEO—their advice will help increase the amount of organic traffic you get.
The holidays and #GivingTuesday will be here soon, and we’re here to help you find the right skilled volunteer for your project and get you the pro bono support you’re looking for!