Small businesses often face many of the same challenges as nonprofits, especially in recent years. The ongoing effects of the pandemic, the Great Resignation, and supply chain disruptions still impact small businesses. Both nonprofits and small businesses serve as critical building blocks of healthy, thriving communities.
Could small businesses benefit from the same skilled volunteers as nonprofits?
Absolutely! At Taproot, we know just how powerful skilled volunteers can be for nonprofits navigating roadblocks and hurdles—a single call with an expert can have a major impact. That’s why we made this same resource available to small businesses like yours through consultation Sessions on our online volunteer matchmaking platform Taproot Plus.
What are Sessions?
Sessions are 60-minute conversations with business experts to help troubleshoot, brainstorm, or suggest solutions for your marketing, HR, technology, strategy, or finance issues. Your volunteer(s) will provide free, high-quality consultations to help you tackle your business concerns, such as how to revamp your finance system or tips on growing your email list.
We recently revamped our Session scheduling system to make finding volunteers even easier.
Start by creating an account on Taproot Plus, and submit a Session request. Then:
- Taproot will publish the request
- Qualified volunteers will browse open listings
- A volunteer applicant will apply and suggest times to hold the call. You’ll get to see their statement of interest and any attached LinkedIn profile or resume.
- You will decide if you want to meet with the volunteer applicant and when the call will occur.
You can now recruit more volunteers
After confirming a Session with a Taproot volunteer, you’ll get the option to keep recruiting professionals to consult with you on the same topic.
- This is a great option for those of you who would like to get feedback from multiple experts.
- You can recruit up to 5 volunteers per 1 Session post.
- It’s important to note that these are still a 1:1 call. But now you have the option to easily get advice from multiple volunteers on the same topic.
What can I really accomplish in a 60-minute conversation?
Don’t underestimate the value of a one-hour consultation with a business expert. The average hourly value for a skilled volunteer’s time is $195. Some ideas for a productive Session:
- Connect with a strategy expert on how you can modify your business model to be more flexible in times of flux.
- Brainstorm creative, fresh strategies to engage your customers on social media with a marketing pro.
- Explore different types of e-commerce platforms for your website with a web developer.
- Share the technology issues you’re experiencing with an IT expert.
- Discuss the communications you’ll need to notify your customer base of re-opening plans with a communications professional.
- Talk with an HR professional about the policies you need for bringing your staff safely back to the office or for developing a hybrid work model.
These are just a handful of Session ideas, but our volunteers are ready to take on your pressing business concerns.