By Lindsay Firestone Gruber, President & CEO of Taproot Foundation
When Taproot was founded in 2001, we knew our mission to drive social change through pro bono service didn’t have to start from scratch. The legal profession in particular served as an example of the potential that can be realized when you engrain an ethic of service into an industry and build programs and resources so nonprofits can leverage it. But outside of the legal profession, that type of access to pro bono services for the nonprofit sector was still rare.
Taproot believed then, as we do now, that we must commit to building and leading the pro bono movement in order to achieve our mission. Ten years ago we took that commitment all the way to the White House. Six years ago we expanded the adoption of the American Bar Association’s national Pro Bono Week across industries, and soon after across the globe, through the Global Pro Bono Network. This year, organizations on four continents will be putting a spotlight on this empowering movement.
Pro Bono Week is an incredible opportunity to see the ever-growing pro bono movement in action and to celebrate the advancement of the movement at large. This year, Taproot is building the field through a focus on pro bono as a resource for developing the nonprofit and corporate leaders we need for the future.
Join the movement
- Volunteer Webinar: Drive social change with what you do best. Explore how you can donate your time and expertise to nonprofits through Taproot+, our on-demand matchmaking platform.
- Nonprofit Webinar: How to design a great pro bono project. This webinar will give you all the tools you need to get started on Taproot+, our on-demand platform that connects nonprofits with skilled volunteers.
Build the movement at your company
- Pro Bono can help companies meet key HR objectives. Pro Bono as a People Strategy, Taproot’s new resource, will uncover how practitioners can align their pro bono efforts with their company’s HR strategy to create shared value across the company.
Stay tuned – releasing tomorrow!
Build the movement at your nonprofit
- Nonprofits often view pro bono as a way to build organizational capacity. In this article, written in collaboration with Team4Tech, we encourage nonprofits to see the leadership development opportunities inherent within pro bono projects.
Find the article on Conference Board.
- Get inspired our People of Pro Bono Series highlighting the nonprofits and volunteers that make up the pro bono movement. New stories released all week long!
Find the stories here.
- Follow along on social media using the hashtag #PBW18!
If you’re not already part of the pro bono movement, there’s no better time to join than today. How will you get involved?
About Pro Bono Week
Pro Bono Week (#PBW18) is a global campaign that celebrates and activates pro bono service across all professions that use their talents to make a difference. Inspired by the American Bar Association’s National Celebration of Pro Bono, Taproot works with partners around the globe to focus attention on the pro bono movement each year in October.