By Kimberly Swartz, Senior Director of Community Engagement, Taproot Foundation
Why is now the right time to get involved?
Nonprofits consistently step up for our communities. Now, it’s our turn to step up for them.
Since 2020, nonprofits have been tasked with meeting rising community needs with fewer financial and voluntary resources. Ongoing pandemic complications, inflation, natural disasters, and various other factors have made this a difficult period of giving for many people—a stat reflected in GivingUSA’s finding that charitable giving in the United States declined for the first time in 40 years.
Collectively, we can turn the tide on getting nonprofits the resources they need.
As social good organizations prepare for a busy holiday season, Taproot is mobilizing our incredible network of business professionals in support of their important social missions. Our team is running a holiday volunteerism drive to help organizations fighting for good connect with critical infrastructure and resiliency-building resources in areas such as IT, HR, business strategy, marketing, and more. We’re expanding awareness of skills-based volunteering as a valuable way people can contribute to causes they care about.
Our challenge for you—sign up for at least one volunteer opportunity during the holiday season.
How can I participate?
It’s easy to get involved. Start by creating your free Taproot account. The sign-up process takes no more than 5 minutes, but it gives our team information that we’ll use to start making customized volunteer recommendations for you. Our team is also hosting a special event in honor of #GivingTuesday that we highly recommend to newcomers to nonprofit consulting!
Skills-based volunteer opportunities through Taproot begin at just one hour of time, are virtual, and flexible enough to work around your crowded winter calendars. More than 400 nonprofits across the country are currently searching for volunteer partners—you could have just the skillset they need.
Here are 6 examples of amazing organizations you can support through Taproot:
- Renesting Project | One-hour virtual consultation call | This nonprofit community furniture bank provides free household items to domestic violence survivors, veterans, people with disabilities, and more. They are looking for HR and leadership advice to ensure they’re meeting staff needs. Apply now
- BLUF Military Benefits | One-hour virtual consultation call | BLUF makes the process of understanding military benefits easier to navigate. They’re looking for feedback on their website and how to improve the browsing experience for military families. Apply now
- Larry Thomas Youth Development | 6-9 week virtual project | This nonprofit mentors high school and college-aged minority students. Donate a few hours per week of your Google Ads experience to help expand their mission’s reach through search engines. Apply now
- New York Gray Panthers Project Fund | 1-3 week virtual project | The Gray Panthers’ are a social justice organization combatting ageism and improving nursing home regulations. They’re looking for a design volunteer to help them visually tell the story of their work. Apply now
- Fallbrook Arts | One-hour virtual consultation call | This public art nonprofit is fighting for more equitable access to arts education and activities for community members of all ages. They are seeking QuickBooks problem-solving support as they implement an updated vacation policy. Apply now
Refine your search for the perfect volunteer opportunity
Don’t see anything on that list that fits your skill set? There are hundreds of other virtual ways to get involved with special causes! Check out nonprofits’ listings by the categories of professional experience they’re searching for, including (but not limited to!):
- Project management
- Grant writing and business development strategy
- Board development
- Branding and messaging
Or, filter skill donation opportunities by the social impact areas that you’re most passionate about from our list of 20+ causes that include:
Remember, our team is here to support your volunteerism. Reach out with any questions on getting involved in Taproot’s winter volunteerism drive or participating in our pro bono programs.